|random thoughts and thoroughbred selections|
|"All life is 6-5 against" - Damon Runyon|
Thursday, September 25, 2003
Less than an hour after writing that first post, I found out they're closing my office, and I'm laid off as of tomorrow. Laid off, as in not-coming-back.
But it's OK, and I'll get into that more tomorrow. I damn near quit last week anyway. The writing has been on the wall.
Lansing State Journal:2003 Best food
A little bit of heaven for me yesterday. I stopped on my way through Lansing at The Sultan's, which is my world's most favorite-est place to get Middle Eastern food. I got the fried kibbe lunch special with a hearty dollop of hummus and a large pile of tabbouleh on the side. There is no finer hummus I've ever had than the stuff at The Sultan's, and eating there makes me regret moving to the land of no ethnicity on this side of the state.
Tuesday, September 23, 2003
Letter from the Ex-Wife
"I know, I know...when I did finally get to sleep last night, I had a dream that we talked and it was happy and good. I can never sleep the night before the 23rd...couldn't last year and couldn't this year. Just have been thinking good things about you. Hopefully you can do the same about me now. There were a lot more of the good times then there ever were bad. If I were back at home now, I would ask you if you wanted to go grab some good bagels and you could recite 4th grade reports to me over breakfast. Just thinking about that makes me smile. I send you warm fuzzies and hope you remember that three years ago today, we were both as happy as we possibly ever could be. And I don't want to forget that. Love, Jean xo"
Ugh. Figured I'd see this on the third anniversary of the dumbest thing I ever did. I didn't reply...
Powell Calls U.S. 'Judeo-Christian,' Then Amends (washingtonpost.com)
Thanks Colin, another reason I can't respect the Republican Party.
Ananova - Student cuts off penis and tongue after drinking hallucinogenic tea
Is there something wrong with listening to Grateful Dead records and staring at a lava lamp? Fucking kids today, I swear to god...
The Courier-Mail: Australia 'world's gayest country' [23sep03]
I knew it!
Between no page updates in a little while, and no comments recorded to me on my page, I've been wondering... Where's Anna?
So, to that end, I give you this:
Top Ten Answers to the Question "Where's Anna?"
1) Making her way with a stolen credit card through girl after girl at Nevada's famous Chicken Ranch
2) Snowed in at a remote log cabin in the Canadian Wilderness with nothing but glazed donuts, Gatorade, sex toys, and D cell batteries (metric conversion - L cell batteries)
3) Tied to a bed somewhere after a sex game gone badly has resulted in a coronary for last Saturday's hook-up
4) At a concentration camp in Calgary in the process of being brainwashed by the RCMP's "Banality Force," which is the group responsible for making half of Canada think that "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" is, in fact, funny
5) Computerless, after having thrown her desktop out the window, being driven slowly and surely nuts by the repeated delivery of Canada Online's (COL) greeting upon logon "You've Got Mail, eh"
6) Flopping around on the floor and unable to stand or get her hands free because she's half in and half out of a rubber dress that she can remember fit better when she was 18
7) On a plane right now wearing a trenchcoat with slutty lingerie underneath, carrying directions to my house, my Publisher's Clearinghouse $10 million dollar prize check, and a pizza (oh wait, that's what I hope she's doing right now)
8) Interviewing for a job to replace that scraggly old hag that hosts the phone-in sex show on the Oxygen Network
9) Locked in the supply closet at work with that co-worker hook-up she has spoken of, both completely naked, and waiting for the next poor soul who needs a manila folder to open the door to freedom
10) Just out there generating more memories, and more stories to share with those of us that are her loyal readership
Monday, September 22, 2003
Robert Novak: The trouble with Wes
Actually, I didn't even read the article. The reason I ended up here was the sensationalistic headline from Drudge:
GENERAL CLARK WORE BOSNIAN WAR CRIMINAL'S MILITARY CAP!
Above is a picture with Clark wearing the guy's hat.
So fucking what.
Let me repeat.
So fucking what.
You know, I get really irritated about the way politics plays out in this country. Conservatives seem to feel as if they are entitled to rule this country without challenge. Dirt is inevitably dredged up, sensationalized, and positioned as news in the media. Are "liberals" guilty of some of this? Sure. But compare the initial campaign of Bill Clinton to GW Bush's. How many times did something come out of nowhere with the intention of blindsiding and derailing the Clinton campaign? Womanizing was the big one, pot smoking, draft dodging. These were turned into "big issues" because conservatives stressed "values." Turn to GW Bush's campaign. Why did no one make a big deal about DUIs? Why was his possible/probable cocaine use not explored further? Pot smoking is worse? Why was there little discussion of Bush's inability to run a business profitably?
Really fucking irritating.
Don't buy into this mess. Find a reason to vote for someone, and don't take too much stock in all the reasons NOT to vote for them. If we could turn a deaf ear collectively to this sort of yellow journalism, we'd all be a lot more informed as Americans.
But the conservatives aren't listening to any of this.
AP Wire | 09/11/2003 | Tommy Chong sentenced on drug charges: "He pleaded guilty May 13 to conspiring to sell drug paraphernalia and pleaded guilty on behalf of his business.
The plea came after federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents bought his paraphernalia and had the items shipped to an undercover business in Beaver Falls, northwest of Pittsburgh. Agents also confiscated his company's wares during raids of 'head shops' in several states and confiscated 'thousands of marijuana bongs and pipes' in a raid of his Gardena, Calif., business."
When did it become a crime to sell pipes? In theory, these pipes could be used to smoke tobacco, right? I'm really baffled sometimes as to what people really think they're accomplishing by setting laws that criminalize activity like this. Tommy Chong is going to prison for a longer term than the guy who "accidentally" shot and killed my brother's friend ten years ago next month. And for what? For selling pipes. I really don't get it.
Bill Simmons @ ESPN
About the Author
Greatest Hits [archived]
Guinness and Poker
Al Can't Hang
The Cards Speak
Tao of Poker
Tao of Pauly
Scott, Texas' favorite Fat Guy
Only Built 4 Cuban Links
Up For Poker
Ugarte's Poker Grovel
JD's Cheap Thrills
Poker Stars Blog
Vegas Poker Blog
Poker in the Weeds
Nickle And Dimes
Not a Poker Blog
Dispatches From The Culture Wars
Horse Racing Links
Curb My Enthusiasm
Daily Racing Form
They Are At The Post
Tampa Bay Downs
Your Average Horseplayer
Tote Board Brad
Left At The Gate
design by maystar
powered by blogger
Syndicate this site
Online Poker : Visit Dr. Pauly at Tao of Poker for the best written journal on Poker Around. From on-line poker rooms to off-line live tournament coverage including the WSOP.
Las Vegas : The Poker Prof's Las Vegas and Poker Blog is the goto stop for people who come to Sin city to hit the tournaments and poker rooms. From the World Poker Tour to the World Series if it's big poker in Vegas it's blogged here. Home to the Prof's Las Vegas Links Directory.
Utilities Provided By